Following are some of my favorite quotes from the book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Hope you guys enjoy them! 🙂
1) If someone isn’t what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea if how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.
2) At a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That’s the world’s greatest lie.
3) Everyone, when they are young, knows what their destiny is. At that point in their lives, everything is possible. They are not afraid to dream, to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lives. But, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their destiny.
4) When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
5) People learn, early in their lives, what is their reason for being. Maybe that’s why they give up on it so early, too. But, that’s the way it is.
6) If you start out by promising what you don’t even have yet, you’ll lose your desire to work towards getting it.
7) Everything in life has its price.
8) Sometimes it’s better to leave things as they are.
9) When each day is the same as the next, it’s because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises.
10) I have been told that beauty is the great seducer of men.
11) Every blessing ignored becomes a curse.
12) When you can’t go back, you have to worry only about the best way of moving forward.
13) Everyone has his or her own way of learning things.
14) I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man.
15) You must love the desert, but never trust it completely. Because the desert tests all men: it challenges every step, and kills those who become distracted.
16) “Isn’t wine prohibited here?” the boy asked. “It’s not what enters men’s mouth that’s evil,” said the alchemist. “It’s what comes out of their mouths that is.”
17) You must understand that love never keeps a man from pursuing his destiny. If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it wasn’t true love.
18) There is only one way to learn. It’s through action.
19) Wherever your heart is, that is where you’ll find your treasure.
20) You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it’s better to listen to what it has to say. That way, you’ll never have to fear an unanticipated blow.
21) Fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.
22) No heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams.
23) Most men see the world as a threatening place, and, because they do, the world turns out, indeed, to be a threatening place.
24) Every search begins with beginner’s luck. And every search ends with the victor’s being severely tested.
25) The darkest hour of the night came just before the dawn.
26) When you posses great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed.
27) No one fails to suffer the consequences of everything under the sun.
28) Monk: But this payment goes beyond my generosity. Alchemist: Don’t say that again. Life might be listening, and give you less the next time.
29) Everything that happens once can never happen again. But everything that happens twice will surely happen a third time. –Arab Proverb
30) “I am coming, Fatima,” he said. (of course this was going to be here :P)